Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 20, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Roofs - Part 1

I ordered the stain glass sheets for the windows so, for the time being, I'm moving on to the roofs. From a build perspective there are four roofs; the long roof, two short roofs and the bell tower roof. I dry fit everything first to make sure everything fit (it did) and then assembled the long roof and the two short roofs. No problems at this point. The two short roofs are pretty solid they are relative compact and two interior supports are plenty. The long roof, however, only has two supports and they are located at either end by the gables and I'm thinking its going to sag a bit. I think I need to add two supports.

Lesson learned here; be sure there is enough support and if in doubt make a copy of the support pieces before you glue things together. Right now I'm going to have to figure out how to make two copies of the supports with everything already glued in place. I'll deal with this when I have more time.

In the meantime I dry fit everything again. The roofs fall into position as expected. I then taped the bottom portion of the bell tower together to see how it fit and then traced the outline of the short roofs and the bell tower on to the long roof to see where the shingling would need to stop. All of the roof sections will be glued together, at some point in this process, to create one large roof and to avoid the bell tower from sliding off during a game. Shingling the whole long roof will just make that difficult so there will be two sections, one on either side, that won't get any shingles.

A few pictures:
Note that on the long roof there are only two supports and those are just about as far apart as you can get. The weight is going to fall roughly to the left of center (based on the door being on the right end here) which is where I think more support will be needed to avoid sagging from miniatures being placed in the bell tower.


Dry fitting the roof pieces.

Adding the bell tower. I think things are looking pretty good.


2 comments:

  1. To get a template for the roof supports, I'd try making a rubbing of one of the existing supports. That should give you a very close paper template that you could then cut out and fit, then modify as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I'll give that a try when I get back to it.

    ReplyDelete