Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 13, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Walls - Part 2

With the window outlines transferred to the walls it was time to see if I could pull this off. I opted to use scrap paper from the floor so I wouldn't be wasting good dark stone paper.

I decided to start with the long wall on the left or short side of the building. I cut a piece of scrap to fit the area between the edge and the slot in the wall (2.5" wide, 4.5" tall). Using the engraving I marked out a line to represent the bottom edge of the window "sill". Then I determined where the center would be. Note that this is not the exact center from edge to edge. Rather this is the center of the based on the arch.

Conveniently the arch has a centerline marked on it as decoration. One rule I established was to make all measurements from one edge. In this case the outer edge. Outer edge to centerline was 31mm (I know, I go back and forth between imperial and metric which ever gives me an easier measurement to use) so I used that at the top and made a corresponding mark on the sill line. I drew a straight line through that.


Establish the bottom edge of the sill

Add the centerline


Then I took the narrow arch "template" (aka the cutout of the center of the narrow arch windows) which I located the centerline on (at least as best I could, I think its pretty close). I laid the template in place and traced around it. Then with a sharp knife I cut it out. Then came the moment of truth, I laid the stone paper against the outer edge to see if this worked. And it did! With a bit of adjustment the decorative engraving showed quite nicely around the opening I had cut.


Lining up the template centerline with the centerline on the paper

All traced out


All cut out

The moment of truth

How it should look with the "framing" piece in place.
c


Now I have a template and a repeatable process to work through all the windows on both sides of each piece. That's a total of 12 windows and 24 cutouts since I have to repeat the process on the interior side of the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment