Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

ReaperCon 2023 - This is all I got

I think I have become somewhat jaded with game conferences in general. I do love to go to ReaperCon, its definitely unique in the miniature hobby world. But as I have managed to wean myself off of the "oh shiny" syndrome (not completely mind you) I find that I don't really buy much at the show anymore. It may also have something to do that since my part of the show typically starts in March, that by September I'm already tired of the whole thing.

None the less, I did actually spend money this year which maybe the first time in three or four years now. From Scale 75 I bought four new brushes. These are from Avante Art World and they have two types: Kolinsky Lux and Kolinsky Plus. The Kolinsky Lux are pure Kolinsky sable brushes, I picked up a #1 and a #2. They are roughly equivalent in size to my DaVinci Maestro Series 10 brushes. The Kolinsky Plus are a hybrid brush, the core is synthetic and the outer layer is Kolinsky sable. These seem to run a little small so I picked up a #2 and a #3 as they seem roughly equivalent to the #1 and #2 in their Kolinsky Lux line. I'm definitely interested in finding out how these perform as I typically stay away from synthetic brushes in general.

My other purchase was from Turbo Dorks (who make a metallic paint that I'm interested in trying but I wasn't going to risk paint in our carry on) a wooden painting handle. I have a plastic one and I find that I don't really use it but I thought maybe the feel of the wood might provide me some extra incentive to use it. I think its because they all seem a little short in my hand but the designer showed my how he holds it which is different from the way I was holding them. I'll give it a try and at the end of the day I have a template to work from if I decide to turn my own, maybe from a nice piece of walnut.

Four brushes and a painting handle, not very impressive

The gold label Kolinsky Lux are on the top, the silver label Kolinsky Plus


2 comments:

  1. I am very curious to hear how the hybrid brush performs and whether it holds up well over the long term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious as well. I'm going to finish the Church and then dive into a few models and give the brushes a good test run.

      Delete