Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Steve Jackson's Ogre - Its all Mine!

Its been a couple of weeks since Genghis Con XXXV now and I have, finally, fully recovered my voice. Between the six hours of auctioning on Friday and getting sick with a cold immediately afterwards while I was in California its been kind of a struggle. Now I have time to really soak in my biggest score during the convention; a copy of the designer's edition of Ogre by Steve Jackson. The original portfolio game was published back in the late 70's and my friends and I played it to death and happily added on GEV when that was released. I have some incredibly fond memories of playing this little pocket game which was easily affordable on my allowance at the time, unlike some of the other games that had my attention like SPI's Atlantic Wall, and War in the Pacific or even the new Squad Leader expansions like Cross of Iron and Crescendo of Doom from AH. While I know that this has been done to death already by other bloggers, here are my box opening pictures. The photo quality leaves a lot to be desired but my focus was on other things.


The shipping box, I may still keep this.

Okay, the box is massive and weighs in at a hefty 30#. That's one of my 18" steel rulers across the bottom of the box.

And now the ruler up the side of the box, let's call the whole thing about 22"x20"x8"

The back of the box with the all important read me first label.

The back of the sheet with all the assembly instructions. It clearly states that you should not punch all the counters out, in that way lies madness. Ha, I'm an old school wargamer and I cut my teeth on SPI monster games. There were certainly not enough counters to scare me off. So I spent a very pleasant evening punching out counters and assembling Ogres of various types.

The Ogre Blueprint, very cool, keeping it in the box for now. I may frame this someday.

The four stacks of counter sheets. I don't count them, I just dove in and released the components from their cardboard shackles

The Ogre Garage, where you can store your completed Ogres and other bits

And the boards and I think I kind of stopped taking pictures at this point. What you are seeing in s the back side of the original boards, underneath them is the counter storage tray and the GEV boards. Maybe I'll get some more pictures taken, I think I'm just going to play the game though.

2 comments:

  1. I heard the Con was loads of fun this year and it looks like a good crop of people from Reaper forums showed up and took some prizes in the paint contests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a good time although I spend far more time working than anything else. Ended up teaching a class as well, so my voice really took a beating. The Sophie miniature that took best of show is just stunning. I'm trying to get the pictures so I can post them on here.

      Delete