Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 2, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - The Gangs all Here - Chipping

I am having a love hate relationship with chipping techniques. If I use a brush I struggle to make it look even remotely like chips but using a brush allows more control. The "sponge" technique seems to work best for me. I grab a piece of foam from a miniature package and tear it up a bit and hold it with a pair of tweezers as I dab it against the side of the vehicle. Unfortunately its much harder to control and I struggle with trying to get the excess paint off the foam before I dab against the surface.

This is the first round of chipping or it might even be the final round of chipping just depends on how I feel about it. Overall I think it came out rather well. I should probably go back on the S307 and chip it with the yellow on the green and brown camo colors. Its just hard to see the dark chip color in those areas. I really am going to need a lot more practice with this technique before I get back to the StuG IIIs. Fortunately I still have those 3 P107s coming up.


Its hard to see the dark chip color in some areas. This is where I should go back and try chipping with the base yellow in those spots.


You can see some spots on the interior where I didn't get enough paint off the foam especially the big spot to the right of the Pak 40.

The chipping looks better on the Lorraines I think. More yellow to really show the chipping off. I see I do need to get in there and do the muffler though.








I need to really practice both the lining and the chipping. I got sloppy on the S307(f) here and it really shows in the fighting compartment and around the tools in particular. There is definitely a learning curve on how long to let things dry before you "clean" it up with thinner. To soon and its not dry enough and you just spread things around, to long and its really hard make a dent in it and you have big swatches of "lining" that aren't really lining. I should be able to cover some of this with the weathering though and tighten things up a bit.

In the end all of these are gaming pieces anyway and are going to look just fine on the table.

2 comments:

  1. I think they look really good, and putting a crew in there will really help. Major Becker would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm enjoying the process more than I have in a long time. These definitely need crew. I have spent some time looking for crew and there just aren't a whole lot of option out there right now. I have some Perry Miniatures crew from their Afrika Korps line that will fit but not all of them are suitable either. I'll keep my eyes open though.

      Delete