Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, July 16, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - Railroad Station - Brick con't

In between painting sessions I have been working on the Railroad Station. I needed to work through some of the problems and potential solutions before I posted anything about it. Progress has definitely been slow. I did decide that the brick around the openings would be applied flat to the walls. I'm counting on the thickness of the paper to make it pop out after I have "plastered" the outside walls and it saves a lot of stripwood which seems, like other things lately, to be in short supply.

Other than that I have popped the brick out from the corners with stripwood and applied the brick paper. As I have mentioned before, trying to do more than a single corner with this stuff is really tough, removing the adhesive backing would solve that issue but it would add a lot of time. For the next brick project I have acquired another batch of bumpy paper without the contact backing.


Finished all the brick corners for the ground floor, that seemed to take forever. Here I have cut out and glued on the stripwood for the upper floor.

Applying the brick edge. I actually did both sides so there won't be any folding necessary on the facing piece, but it does have to be wide enough to cover two edges now.

Can I trace things accurately enough to make a template? I just needed to trace the outline of the laser cut brick. Not as easy as it would appear but certainly doable.

The test template. It became a test because it basically disintegrated when I applied the glue.

Thick paper to start with and paper cut to the full size of the wall to help maintain proper registration.

I mounted everything to cardboard first this time and then cut out the templates after the glue had dried. I actually don't need the small circular window, those will have to be done one brick at a time.

 I used the template to create the four windows of that size that are required.
And here is everything cut out. Do you see the problem? I need to make the arched portion with bricks going vertically not horizontally. I will have to cut out the offending section and then lay the brick strips in one by one. Fortunately I will be able to use the lasercuts on the building to guide me through this, I'm sure it will be tedious to do.


This is the street side. The framing around the freight doors was easy enough. A regular horizontal pattern on the edges and a soldier row across the top.

And from the platform side.

2 comments: