Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

New Tools - Micromark and a Rubicon PzKfw III

I admit that Micromark is a indulgence, but every now and then I manage to find something that I can really use (well maybe more often than that). While I haven't managed to get any paint on anything for almost a month now I have been toying with starting one of the Rubicon PzKfw III kits. I pulled one out and went through the instruction book. Since you can build anything from an ausf H to and ausf M the instructions are extensive. I really, really recommend going through the whole booklet and even highlighting the sections that pertain to which ever variant you decide to build.

One of the problems you run into with a kit that allows so much variation is the need to drill holes, a lot of holes. Now they are all clearly marked you just have to know exactly which ones to drill out and which ones to leave alone, hence why reading the instructions are so important. This is the point where Micromark comes into play. I don't want to drill the holes to big or to small and all the holes are much bigger than any drill bit in my #61 - #80 set I felt the need to cover the other side of the spectrum and cover #1 - #60.

I eagerly headed to the website and ordered the high speed drill bit set and a twist drill gauge (to help sort things after I leave screw bits scattered across the work surface). That arrived over the weekend and I was eager to get started on the kit when I noticed something odd about the drill bits in the first row from #41 - #60. I pulled them all out and checked them with the gauge, as I suspected, 5 of the bits were duplicates and of course that meant that 5 were missing. So off went an email to Micromark and the kit was set to the side while I resolve it because one of the missing numbers was the match for the holes I needed to drill out!

I do apologize for the lack of posts since mid January. I ran full tilt into that Covid-19 depression that seems to be going around. Combined with some issues at work (nothing personal just project issues), house fixes and some serious vet bills. Lani, the largest of our dogs 1/2 Great Pyrenees and 1/2 Anatolian shepherd she weighs in at 130#, has developed a cancerous tumor on her nose. She had surgery and is recovering just fine but the vet found that the cancer has dug into the bone and she couldn't remove all of it. Now all we can do is cross our fingers that it doesn't come back to fast.

I think the tools were a way just to break things up and get me out of this bit of depression and now that the drill bit set didn't have what I wanted I feel like I have taken a step back. I have plenty of projects ready to go though so when I can get some traction I have plenty to keep me occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment