Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Roofs - Part 3

Still stalling on doing the shingles so I worked on the extra supports for the long roof. I discovered that there was plenty of material left to work with on the MDF sprues (good thing I never throw anything away).  And following a suggestion in the comments I traced out the supports from the gable ends and made a couple of templates. It was easier than I thought it would be. The roof sections meet at a 90 degree angle so I just laid a piece of paper in there to match the angle and traced the bottom edge, complete with the notches. A little work with a knife and a file and I was probably done in 15 minutes or so. I glued those into place, double checked and adjusted the fit a bit and I was done. Now I really need to do the shingles.


Paper Templates

Glued to the remains of an MDF sprue

Initial cut. Notches have not been cut yet.

Added some straight lines to give me a guide.

Three of my 1-2-3 blocks to hold everything in place while the glue sets. Of course the piece slipped a bit without me know it.

This time I used all four of my blocks, the fourth is used to make sure the piece stays vertical. It still slipped a bit

And what it looks like in the end. Basically I added the supports on either side of the intersection of the walls in the center.


2 comments:

  1. I just subscribed (can't believe I didn't sooner); I look forward to following this project. John Boadle on his Hand-Built History blog says it is worthwhile taking extra time on rooves since when we are playing a wargame that is what we look at the the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with that. I think I picked it up from my model railroads, you mostly see the roof, make it interesting!

      Delete