Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, August 24, 2023

World War II Project - 28mm Village Church - Sarissa Precision - The Steeple Part 5

I was going to set the steeple aside till I was ready to add some extra roof detail that I haven't quite figured out yet. However, I was looking it over and felt like the stonework needed a bit of texture. I found some Liquitex mat gel in the cupboard and thought I would give that a try. 

It looks okay, however, it didn't really fill in the edges the way I wanted. I let it dry and went back in with Vallejo plastic putty, again something that I had near to hand, I applied that right along the edge and got a much better fill than the gel did. I think maybe some spackle would achieve the same effect.

Here is the top of the steeple, minus the roof

Here is the bottom, I like the soft texture that the gel added I just need a sharper edge.

Here we are after the putty has been added. Fills in the the edge gap and adds a bit more texture. I had to go back and add some separation lines between the stones.



2 comments:

  1. Stippling on texture gel or even acrylic modelling paste for a more subtle effect can work well. All you need is a stiff brush, a small one for this sort of job, a cheap hogg bristle brush, the sort many of us used in primary school, is perfect. The nice thing about acrylic gels is that you can mix some paint in to them.
    Simple enough that even I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Not quite sure why stippling didn't occur to me but it should work quite nicely.

      Delete