Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, November 27, 2023

Painting the Modelu O Scale Transitional Era Crew Bundle - Part 7 Finishing up

Time to wrap this up. These are relatively simple figures from a painting perspective. After the overalls, jackets and caps its just down to gloves, boots and touching up the skin a bit.


To start off I wanted to try something to try and bring out the features on the skin a bit more. I took some Army Painter Strong Tone and thinned it down about 50:50 with their glazing thinner. I painted all of the skin and the shirt with this mix and let it dry. It feels like it added quite a bit of depth to the face and filled in the eyes better than my initial effort, however, my highest highlight was really emphasized and looked very odd at this point. Didn't work as I had hoped on the shirt though, I think the detail is just to fine there to really take advantage of this technique. It also dried pretty glossy, but I expected that. So to bring some life to those shadows on the shirt I took some Reaper Brown Liner and made a wash and essentially did a pin wash along the folds of the shirt. That helped things pop a bit.








I went in with my mid-tone skin color. Ammo's Burnt Sand (A.MIG-0133), touched up the skin a bit which covered most of the gloss and tightened up the transition to that highest highlight.

From there I moved on to the gloves and boots, following pretty much the same process as the jackets and overalls; a dark, a mid-tone and a highlight. These areas are small and don't need those transitional 50:50 mixes that I used on the larger areas. I went with brown for the boots and dark grey for the gloves. I'm not quite sure what would have been a common color for railroad workers' gloves in the 50's so I went neutral.








Next its time to add some "nature" (a phrase we use when our Great Pyr brings in an assortment of leaves and twigs on her coat into the house). For me these will be diesel crews for warehouse row served by the Rio Grande. On to the dirt. I used two colors from my Pan Pastel stash, one dark and one light.















Since it is powder I might continue to play around with this, but for now I’ll call them done

7 comments:

  1. this is the link to the painted examples

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying that you don't like the way I painted them?

      Delete
  2. https://ymw-modelu.com/wp-content/uploads/9029C-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly certain that those are digital images and not actual painted miniatures. I could be wrong but the plaid jacket on the right would be a simply phenomenal paint job.

      Delete
  3. I just wanted to let any readers out there know that these comments did not come from Yarmouth Model Works. Pierre is a one man show there and he is the official distributor of Modelu products in the US and Canada. If you are looking for Modelu products definitely go visit the Yarmouth website at https://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/Home/InTheWorks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those came out very nicely- well done.

    ReplyDelete