Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Painting the Modelu HO Scale Transitional Era Crew Bundle - Part 7 The Blues - Jackets

Now its time to lighten up the jackets. I'm using some colors that I was trying to avoid because they are part of Reaper's HD series which is not out of production. However, they look like they are going to work pretty well so I'll work with them now and then figure out some replacements.

The first color up is Solid Blue (29816). Its dark enough that I didn't bother to mix it with the Nightmare Black (9280). Its a good step up without needing an intermediate layer of the two colors mixed together.
I followed that up with Solid Blue mixed 50:50 with Nightsky Blue (29818). Trying to limit it to the higher areas now, leaving the two deeper blues in the folds creases.

Next up is then just a layer of Nightsky Blue. I failed to mention that I have been thinning all of these colors with water (since I'm not doing a wash or a glaze at this point). I just want the paint to flow off the brush and if it takes a couple of passes to get the color intensity I want that's just fine.

Final color is Winter Blue (29817). Again with the colors so close I skipped the intermediate mix and went straight from Nighsky Blue to Winter Blue for the final highlight. And of course that ended up being to big a transition so I glazed it back a bit and did a 50:50 mix then followed it up with Winter blue.

I think the jackets are looking pretty good. I like the contrast between the dark blue of the jacket and the more faded blue of the overalls.












No comments:

Post a Comment