Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Building Calamity 2 - Row House

The weekend activities finally came to an end and I sat down for a little quite time. I took the pieces that I had cut out on Friday and went to work on the interior paint work. After my experience trying to detail the interior walls of the the Newspaper Office I decided that I would be much better off adding a little detail and painting before doing the assembly. Since the row house is intended to be one of my supporting actor buildings I kept the interior pretty simple. I had already inscribed the walls with some planking detail and to this I added baseboards and framed the windows and doors. I considering adding an interior wall but I can add that later if I feel the need.

I airbrushed the floor with Vallejo Model Color Flat Earth and the interior walls with Vallejo Panzer Aces Light Mud. I followed that up with a wash of Liquitex Raw Umber applied full strength. The baseboards and framing were done with Reaper Pure White.

After the paint had dried I pulled out my metal jig and my weights and quickly assembled the floors and walls. I left this in the jig to dry over night. I need to go down and rummage around and see what roof shingles I have sitting around. I'm thinking that the next session will see the roof completed, hopefully with shingles, the exterior trim glued in place and the exterior walls painted.


The floor airbrushed with flight earth 
The walls airbrushed with light mud

Raw Umber ink applied full strength


Baseboards and trim painted white.

Starting to put it all together



Here we are with the big weights removed and the small jig magnets holding it all together while the glue sets.

6 comments:

  1. Looking quite nice. Using the foamed PVC seems like an easier way to go than plastic card or real wood.

    Do you think that it would be useful for a brick/masonry building as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a good stand in for brick or masonry.It carves easy and if you rolled a rough stone across it the texture would "stick" without a lot of effort.

      Delete
    2. I will have to get a sheet and try it out.

      I like Doug's idea for a chair rail, and it seems like other trim sort of things could really sell the idea that this is a real room.

      Delete
    3. I think you are right and it wouldn't really take much more to sell it, but I think the chair rail and maybe creating another room will be the extent of it. Definitely things to keep in mind for other main buildings. I don't want to get to crazy on the supporting buildings I want to keep the build times down.
      One of the other things I have been toying with is adding lighting to at least some of the buildings. I haven't really found a source for kerosene lanterns that I can modify though. The ones that I have found are just cast in pewter or are simply way to large.

      Delete
  2. Nice simple interior. You might consider a chair rail in some of your buildings as well, since it's a very typical Victorian feature and trivial to add. Also, transoms are a really good choice when air conditioning is non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chair rail would be a good addition. I'll add that to the next one. The front door is definitely getting a transom, the back door is to short for one. I'm still debating dividing it up into two rooms.

      Delete