Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - Railroad Station - Roofs...Again

I finished shingling all four roof sections for the station. Everything has been tested fitted and filed down to fit. While I really hate hand cutting shingles I think these turned out pretty good. With a little paint and some weathering the station should really stand out. I have plenty of cardboard to make more and it will be something easy to source, Costco is my friend. We buy the big boxes of dog biscuits from Costco and each layer is separated by a thin layer of cardboard, there are five pieces of cardboard to a box and with four dogs in the house we go through a box about every two weeks or so and they have nice straight edges to work with.

Since they worked out so well on the station I'm going to back and redo the roofs on the Sally 4th Terrace houses too. One has a roof finished with printed paper shingles and I stopped work on the second one because I didn't have any shingles or shingle material available at the time. Looks like there will be a lot of cardboard strips in my future.

Gluing up the last roof section, this is the center section with the chimney coming up through one side.
Gluing up the last roof section, this is the center section with the chimney coming up through one side.

Trackside

Streetside

Streetside with another piece of cardboard laid out for cutting.


4 comments:

  1. Its getting there, this is the one that keeps getting put aside for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. terrific, do you mind me asking, what are those metal things with the holes in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are called 1-2-3 Blocks and used for setting things up in tool rooms and inspection labs. They are 1"x2"x3" (hence 1-2-3 blocks) are flat and square. The holes are for holding them together or to a work bench surface (woodworkers use something similar on clamping tables).
      Each block weighs 1 pound and I mostly use them to keep things square while I'm gluing walls and what not. They are also excellent weights when you need to hold something done while the glue sets (like the picture above).

      Delete