Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, August 13, 2020

World War II Project - Return to Normandy - The Gangs all Here - Recovery

 I sat down with these and finished them up. First thing I did was stir my matte varnish really, really well! I used that to cut the glossy shine down and give a nice matte surface for the pigments to adhere too.

First the dust up. I applied some dusty colored pigments to the top surfaces and the bogies and tracks. I wet that down with white spirits and then wiped off the excess with a makeup sponge. Maybe a little heavy but not bad.






I followed that up with some more pigments. This time I used the Pan Pastels and applied three layers.






4 comments:

  1. Very grimy!

    I forget, do you have crews and stowage for these too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are definitely a bit grimy, perhaps to grimy but I'm happy with them. Finding 28mm crews for German open topped AFVs has been difficult. The only ones I have found are from the Perry Brothers and they are technically for North Africa, however, I think they are very usable even for Normandy. On the plus side the Perry miniatures are going to be more in scale with these vehicles anyway. So they will get crews at some point, just need to shift over from painting armor and back to painting troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw someone using the Perry crew for a Marder (on Fawcett avenue conscripts?) and it seemed to work out well for Europe rather than North Africa.

      I assume that June and July in France can be hot, just like everywhere in the Northern hemisphere.

      The 88 crew might also have some usable figures to mix it up a bit.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't thought about the 88 crew that would probably work too. I have seven open topped German AFVs right now so I will need as much variety as I can get.

    ReplyDelete