Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, February 9, 2023

Painting an HO Scale Brick Building - Part 2

Time to move on to the roof. The cast wood shingles have a pretty rough look, so I approached these much the same way as the brick. I started with a lighter brown that I applied over the entire roof. I followed that up with a mid tone brown again applied over most of the roof, but not all. The third darker brown was applied a bit more randomly and quite frankly probably over did it. I applied the same wash I did on the bricks, Ammo's Track Wash, and that helped tie things together a bit more.

This is the lightest of the three colors. I also took the opportunity to paint the back side of the brick façade and the brick "tiles" on the top of the façade. 





This is the roof so far, just needs to be weathered which, hopefully, will blend those colors together a bit better. Note that I went with a lighter brown to represent the flagstone lintels for the windows and doors.

After all this, and with the chipping fluid nice and dry, I applied a mid-tone green on all the wooden window and door sills and used an yellow on the "panels" under the windows and on the doors. 

Here we go with the whole failure to take pictures again. The green is on, the yellow is not but the roof is almost finished and I have worked some white into the mortar lines. We are just going to ignore that for the moment.

You can see that, overall, the brick has a bit more of a faded look to it at this point, that's the result of trying to get some off white into the mortar lines. 

About this time it hit me that something was missing. While the darker mortar lines were nice, I thought it would be better if there was at least a hint of white in there. Time to experiment!

2 comments:

  1. In the UK a lot of buildings from the early 20th century were stained with soot from domestic coal fires and industrial smoke. This didn't get better until the clean air laws in the 1950's and many buildings were still smoke blackened in the 1970's when many towns started sand blasting the grime away! The upper front portion of this building captures something of that look which in a coal fired steam train setting seems reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be true at least to a certain extent in the US as well. I don't have many pictures of the area until about 1960. Fortunately that's about the time frame I want to model so, we are talking dirty and worn (especially signage, the Colorado sun is very harsh) as opposed to grimy.

      I might have to experiment more with that thought though. I didn't really do anything specific to represent grime at this stage, I would more likely do that with dry pigments rather than paint or inks.

      Delete