Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Painting HO Scale Miniatures - Step 6 - Almost There

Well, I was hoping to be done with these, but they aren't quite ready yet. The few extra details have been painted up; hats, hair, gloves and what not. In addition to that I have added some lining but I'm not completely finished with that step, however, its been a while and I wanted to show the progress.

My issue with them now, as we reach these final steps, is the skin has ended up being to dark on most of them. So my next step will be to finish up the lining, pick out any details I missed and then go back with the bronze skin mid tone (or perhaps something else) and lighten up the skin.

Overall I'm fairly please with how these came out. I think the are significantly better than what you typically see on most model railroads. Overall I figure I have spent about 2 hours of painting on these 30 miniatures. Its hard to calculate the prep time but place that at an hour which means I'm spending roughly about 6 minutes per miniature. I got there by painting in mass (something wargamers are quite familiar with). Pick the number of miniatures you are comfortable with and prep and paint them all at once. I do admit that I basically skipped the two guys in suits though. You can a lot of time by keeping your color palette small and moving from one figure to the next with that color. You lose time by constantly changing colors as you move from one figure to the next.

I'm going to purchase some better sculpted HO folks and see what I can do with something that is well sculpted and produced using these same basic techniques. And in regards to these Preiser miniatures apparently steering wheels are huge on German vehicles? All the ones that have arms set like they are holding a steering wheel look like they are driving an 18 wheeler.

Group 1 Black Primer

Group 2 White Primer

Group 3 Grey Primer

Group 4 Zenithal

Group 1 Black Primer

Group 2 White Primer

Group 3 Grey Primer

Group 4 Zenithal




No comments:

Post a Comment