Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Painting HO Scale Miniatures - Step 5 - Getting to the details

The basic painting has been completed at this point. Now its time to go into the details. Again, I try to continue follow my process of painting from the inside out. Now, I'm going after things like, belts, shoes, jackets, purses and the like. We are closing in on the finish line.

At this point the process is pretty much the same. I have kept the number of colors way down at this point just to try and speed things along a bit. You will probably notice my penchant for green. One of the things I have tried to experiment with a this point is lining. You can think of this as a tightly controlled wash. Instead of paint this time around I tried my Liquitex Acrylic inks, in this case Burnt Umber. 

The idea is to paint a "shadow" at each color junction. So places where skin meets cloth or a piece of clothing meeting another piece of clothing. I realized after I took the pictures that I hadn't really managed to follow through with this on all of the miniatures but you can see the difference on the ones I did. 

At this stage you can really see how the different primer colors affect the colors you are applying. I'm still leaning towards my favorite of a neutral gray primer, both black, white and the zenithal style have coverage problems, often requiring 2 or more coats of thinned paint to get good coverage. You can also see the color shifts when the neutral grey background is more in the picture and the camera adjusts for the light better, all the standing figures are shifted a bit more towards yellow because of the light.

Group 1 Standing, Black Primer
Group 2 Standing, White Primer

Group 3 Standing, Grey Primer

Group 4 Standing, Zenithal


Group 1 Sitting, Black Primer

Group 2 Sitting, White Primer

Group 3 Sitting, Grey Primer

Group 4 Sitting, White Primer

Things are coming along, its been hard to find the time to paint so this is going slower than I had hoped. I should dig around and see if I can find some more miniatures and do one just in the grey primer in one session and time it.






No comments:

Post a Comment