Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Sunday Painting - A Mini for LAF's Space Oddities Paint Club

I was pretty excited to see the next paint club on the Lead Adventurers Forum, but I have so many choices, or so I thought. When I started digging through my minis I realized that I really don't have that many science fiction minis and a good chunk of the ones I do have require a lot of assembly. This paint club is going to fill up fast so I didn't feel like I had the time to do anything complex. Then I stumbled across a Hasslefree mini that was a reject from my old "Shopping" diorama. This is HFA-049 McKenzie, and is she loaded for bear, two pistols, a combat knife and plenty of ammo. So here she is from start to finish with a missing chunk in the middle when I forgot to take pictures (pretty typical).


Straight from the ziplock

Prepping the base for some of my basing material
And there we go. I use matte mediurm to apply my ground cover. If I want to remove it I can just soak it in water and scrap it off.

Skin is almost done here, there's not a lot of it. I tried out the Scale75, Scalecolor  Flesh tones on McKenzie

Going with a basic a brown uniform, using Reaper MSPs


And now we have skipped way ahead. Here she is pretty close to being finished. That's the Reaper Jungle Moss Triad on her body armor and helmet. Reaper Khaki tried for almost everything that was a belt, strap or holster.


And here she is all finished off. I tried to give the base a Mars "feel".

McKenzie is a red head! I want to add some color and this seemed like my best option.  I also pulled some of the red up from the base on to the boots and pants to tie her into the base better.
For a quick paint job, I think about 5 hours, I'm pretty pleased with the results on this one. It reminds me that I need to make a Hasslefree order though! I do need to take some better finished shots when I get back to the house. My lights were giving off some odd shadows on the background and I really couldn't light her the way I wanted.

6 comments:

  1. Good painting job on a nice figure !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She was fun to paint. Of course all the Hasslefree minis are fun to paint!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, pigtails :) Looks like a fun, fairly quick paint job.

    I've got my first Hasslefree in my prep queue now. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the pigtails are a nice touch by Kev. Yep, fast and dirty, ready for the tabletop. Actually she's a test subject for colors that I might want to use on a diorama featuring Hasslefree minis.

      Delete
  3. Lovely job and great colour scheme. I have mine on my paint table halfway done! Also comes in blonde!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your version Simon. I debated going blond with this one, but it would have tied in to closely with the khaki on the straps. Maybe I'll get another one and make her a brunette.

      Delete